Friday, June 6, 2008

FTP Backup

So, today I started using Fling, a nifty little freeware FTP backup utility that lets me create a folder (call it BackedUp for me) and put whatever I want in there to be backed up to my server. Pretty cool huh?

All in all, great simple product. I would recommend, and i found a good source for freeware in the meantime ( http://www.nch.com.au/ ), if you don't mind putting up with some bad advertising its good software

hamy

Things I like:
  • it notices when files change, and auto backs them up again
  • nifty icon lets you know its running - not gaudy. Quite a pleasing icon ha ha
  • it keeps a running log so you can open the window and see what it is currently doing
  • they put X's or checks on files to let you know whats backed up(currently, about 7 or 8 Gigs of pictures have little a 'x' :) ).

Things I don't like:
  • The way the company advertises. I started out looking at another product of theirs but gave up and uninstalled after it added like 5 things to my start menu. (Yep, i scanned it. Its not a virus/spyware, just crappy advertising) However, in defense Fling has been pretty good. If you click the toolbox icon, it auto connects to the net and DL's another installer for another product :( LAME ZoneAlarm caught it, but another instance of bad advertising
  • the fact that you have to put stuff in the BackedUp directory. No multiple directory support, no custom file extensions. They have that with bigger tools, but none of those do the auto backup (although, again in their defense, there is a right click and fling upload menu that I have ignored. I secretly like the BackedUp folder - it keeps me deleting things I don't need)
  • Its not the fastest. I feel like they purposefully slow the upload a tad to preserve your normal Bandwidth

No comments: